Factories Act, 1948 – MCQs with answers – Part I
Choose the correct option for the questions below.
1. In which year did factories act come into force?
a. 23rd September, 1948
b. 1st April, 1949
c. 4th April, 1949
d. 12th September, 1948
ANSWER: b. 1st April, 1949
2. How many days in advance does the occupier of a factory premises gives notice of occupancy to the chief inspector?
a. 15 days
b. 20 days
c. 10 days
d. 25 days
ANSWER: a. 15 days
3. What are the general duties of an Occupier?
A. Maintenance of a plant and system of work in factory are safe, without risks to health.
B. Ensure safety and absence of risks to health in, use, handling, storage and transport of articles and substances.
C. Specifying the area
D. Defining the local mean time ordinarily deserved therein.
c. Only A & B
d. All of the above
ANSWER: c. Only A & B
4. Which provisions regarding health are mentioned in the sections 11 to 20 in factories act?
B. Dust and fumes
C. Ventilation and temperature
D. Disposal of wastes
a. Only B & C
b. Only A & D
c. None of the above
d. All of the above
ANSWER: d. All of the above
5. As per the factories act, after how many years should the factory premises be painted and refurbished?
a. 5 years
b. 2 years
c. 10 years
ANSWER: a. 5 years
6. As per section 2 in factories act, who will be called as an adult?
a. A person who has completed 21 years of age
b. A person who is less than 19 years of age
c. A person who has completed 24 years of age
d. A person who has completed 18 years of age
ANSWER: d. A person who has completed 18 years of age
7. Section 2(g) under the act defines _______
b. Manufacturing process
ANSWER: b. Manufacturing process
8. Match the following
1. Approval, licensing and registration of factories —-a.) Section 18
2. Arrangements for drinking water ———— b.) Section 35
3. Maintenance of buildings ——————- c.) Section 6
4. Protection of eyes ————————- d.) Section 40A
a.) 1 – c, 2 – a, 3 – d, 4 – b
b.) 1 – b, 2 – a, 3 – d, 4 – c
c.) 1 – c, 2 – d, 3 – a, 4 – b
d.) 1 – a, 2 – c, 3 – d, 4 – b
ANSWER: a.) 1 – c, 2 – a, 3 – d, 4 – b
9. If there are ____ numbers of employees, then the employer has to provide a canteen.
ANSWER: a. 250
10. Which of the following diseases is not mentioned in the section 89 of factories act?
ANSWER: d. Pneumonia
Factories Act, 1948 – MCCQs with answers – Part II
Choose the correct option for the questions below
1. As per section 94, a person who repeats an offence, he shall be punishable with an imprisonment for a term which may extend upto ______ years and fine which shall not be less than 10,000 Rs but which may extend upto _______ or both.
a. 3 years/ 2,00,000 Rs
b. 5 years/ 1,20,000 Rs
c. 2 years/ 2,50,000 Rs
d. 4 years/ 3,00,000 Rs
ANSWER: a. 3 years/ 2,00,000 Rs
2. If a company has _____ number of employees, then the appointment of a safety officer is mandatory under the factories act.
ANSWER: c. 1000
3. Which of the following is an obligation of the employer is as mentioned in the factories act?
A. Provide all benefits and facilities to the workers regarding annual leave, weekly holidays, and extra wages for overtime, washing, first aid, canteens, crÃ¨ches, rest and lunch rooms.
B. Applicable to all workers
C. To prevent haphazard growth of factories through the provisions related to the approval of plans before the creation of a factory.
D. To ensure adequate safety measures and to promote the health and welfare of the workers employed in factories.
a. Only C
b. Only A
c. B, C and D
d. All of the above
ANSWER: b. Only A
Reason: All except option “A” are the objectives of the act.
4. Fitness certificate granted under “sub section 2” of the act is valid for how many months?
a. 10 months
b. 24 months
c. 6 months
d. 12 months
ANSWER: d. 12 months
5. From the below mentioned options, which of the following is not mentioned under the welfare provision in the factories act?
c. Drinking water
d. First aid
ANSWER: c. Drinking water
6. Which section of the act covers the topic annual leave with wages?
a. Section 27
b. Section 5
c. Section 86
d. Section 79
ANSWER: d. Section 79
7. How many hours in a week can an adult work as per factories act?
a. 9 hours
b. 56 hours
c. 34 hours
d. 48 hours
ANSWER: d. 48 hours
8. State true or false for the below given statement.
i. Under sub section 2A, the state government by notification in the gazette can appoint only one of each, i.e. chief inspector, joint chief inspectors, inspectors and deputy chief inspectors.
ANSWER: b. False
Reason: The state government can appoint any number of chief inspectors, joint â€“ chief inspectors, inspectors and deputy chief inspectors.
9. If there are 100 workers in a factory, then one seat is allotted to how many workers
ANSWER: a. 25
10. Section 99 of factories act deals with which of the following options?
b. Penalty for permitting double employment of a child
c. Display of notice
d. Penalty for obstructing inspectors
ANSWER: b. Penalty for permitting double employment of a child